10 Healthy Benefits of Eating Salads
Published on February 8th, 2013
Incorporating the frequent salad into your diet is very beneficial to anyones health. And nowadays it seems that everyone is a little health-concious and strives to be healthier in one way or another. Well, eating salads to increase your health is a no-brainer and it’s super easy to find at any local restaurant or super market. So, what are the benefits of incorporating salads into your everyday diet? Checkout the 10 healthy benefits of eating salads below:
- Sharpen your eyesight: That’s right, certain salads can actually help sharpen your eyesight. Salads that have spinach, romaine, or red leaf lettuce contain loads of vitamin A carotenoids, lutein, and zeaxanthin. These nutrients help prevent high-energy light that may cause eye damage and aid in light and dark eye adaptation.
- Strengthen your muscles: Popeye had it right all along. Salad greens and spinach have nitrates that can boost the production of the proteins in the muscles, making them stronger and more efficient.
- Slim down your waist: Salads are very low in calories, so eating salad in place of many other fatty foods will help you slim down the pounds.
- Get to sleep easier: Lettuce contains a sleep inducing substance called ‘lectucarium’ which has been used to treat cases of insomnia.
- High source of fiber: Salads are high in fiber which slows the rate that sugar is absorbed into the blood-stream, makes your intestines move faster, and it speeds up the digestive process.
- Lower your food cravings: Eating a salad will help reduce cravings for many other fatty foods. Additionally eating a small salad before a meal will help prevent over-eating.
- Fast and easy: Don’t have time to cook a meal? Or not quite sure what to get on the menu? Choosing a salad is always quick and easy. Anyone can easily make a salad and any place you choose to dine will probably have a salad on their menu.
- Stay Regular: A high-fiber diet helps you have soft, regular bowel movements, reducing constipation.
- Protect against diseases: By improving digestive health, eating salads can help protect the body from diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
- Increased Immune system: Eating salads is a great way to increase your vegetable intake and vegetables contain antioxidants which help aid in booting the immune system.
Besides salads being so good for you they are also very delicious and have so many varieties. You can be sure to find tons of salad varieties in many local restaurants around San Diego. One particularly excellent place to check out in Downtown San Diego for a great variety of salads is ‘Salad Style‘. Their menu offers a wide selection of salads & soups to have you coming back time and time again.
One salad in particular you may want to try is the Moroccan Couscous salad. Checkout this beautiful masterpeice below.
Salad Style also offers many drinks and even a healthy pizza option. So, you can rest assure knowing that you’ll have a nice dining experience with your choice of salads, wraps, pizzas, beer, or wine! Be sure to checkout Salad Style the next time you are downtown in San Diego for a delicious and healthy meal. Eat simple, eat fresh and always eat in style! Salad Style!
Remember… Not only will salads help you look and feel better but it will help everything else you see look better (or sharper), literally.