Epic Power Naps in San Diego
Published on August 9th, 2013
What is this “power nap” you speak of?
A power nap is a short nap during the day of about 20-30 minutes. Ideal time for a power nap is between 2pm and 4pm, just after lunch.
Twenty to thirty minutes (tops) of sleep refills your mental, physical and health buckets to finish out the day successfully! Power naps have been proven to lower stress, improve focus and concentration, and lift your mood. So when your cubicle neighbor gets cranky tell them to shut their…eyes.
Tips for a Epic Power Nap
1. Get comfy! Keep a pillow and/or blanket in the car for impromptu epic napping opportunities.
2. Don’t force it. Some days you will need it, some days you will not. Go with the flow and listen to your body. Take a power nap instead of refilling that coffee mug in the afternoon.
3. Put music on low or turn a window fan on in the background to help drown out outside noises.
4. Thirty minutes is the max otherwise you could go into the danger cranky zone.
5. To wake up gently drink a glass of water and/or go out in the fresh air for a little walk.
Where should I take my Epic Power Nap?
1. Balboa Park has lots of nooks and crannies to lay a blanket down and get comfy! I like the area in between the World Cottages. There is not a lot of traffic and the shade is perfection.
2. Beach, grab a tent if you like or just stick with the old faithful blanket and take a nap while listening to the waves crash! My favorite beaches to nap on are OB and Coronado.
3. Parks (that do not have a playground – this is key), two of my top picks are Bird Park in North Park and Cuvier Park in La Jolla both are quiet and have lush green grass.
4. Your front porch, we live in San Diego….best weather ever….enough said.
5. Are you a USD student? Great news they have a official USD has napping zones PDF available here!
So join other great minds like Thomas Edison, John Kennedy, Leonardo da Vinci, Albert Einstein and Churchill and take a nap today!