Paleo Vietnamese-style Cauliflower Rice
Published on October 28th, 2013
Cauliflower rice is the perfect alternative to rice. You can season cauliflower rice to match almost any meal that includes rice, such as taco rice, curry rice, Mediterranean saffron rice, etc. Okay, this recipe isn’t 100% Paleo unless you’d consider lap xuong, otherwise known as Vietnamese hot dogs, to be primal. But even the most strict primal eaters would agree that having a having a non-Paleo treat every once in awhile is fine and keeps you sane!
• 1 head of cauliflower
• 2-3 tbsp. coconut oil
• 1 white/yellow onion
• ¾ cup green onions
• Your choice amount: vegetables (we used peas and carrots)
• Your choice amount: meat (ex: shrimp, scallops, crab, beef, chicken, sausage, hot dogs, Vietnamese lap xuong — the possibilities are endless)
• 3 eggs
• 1 tsp. minced garlic
• Oyster sauce: season to taste, about 2 tbsp.
• Vietnamese fish sauce (“3 Crab” brand is recommended): season to taste, about 2 tbsp.
• Soy Sauce: season to taste, about 1-2 tbsp.
1. Prepare the cauliflower – remove leaves, cut into several pieces and microwave in a microwave-safe dish for 2 minutes.
2. Place the cauliflower into a blender and pulse until the cauliflower is in rice-sized pieces.
3. Whip eggs in a separate bowl and fry several thin-layered omelettes. Let them cool, and cut into small pieces.
4. Pulse in blender for 2 seconds or chop onions separately. Add coconut oil into a large frying pan. Fry the onions, garlic and any frozen veggies.
5. Add cauliflower and fry on medium heat until cooked, about 6-10 minutes. The cauliflower will begin to release its veggie juice when ready. It will still taste rubbery if not ready.
6. Season to taste with oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce.
7. Add vegetables, eggs, and meat.
8. Serve hot.
Written by: Coach Doug with CrossFit Go Time. CrossFit Go Time is a great place to be introduced to CrossFit or continue your CrossFit journey!