Winter Brown Rice
Published on December 5th, 2013
This is such a fragrant and nutrient packed dish! From cranberries, pumpkin, sage, thyme and cloves, the health benefits are endless. This makes an amazing side dish or throw some chicken in for a memorable holiday main dish that will please!
1.5 cups fresh cranberries
½ onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
¾ cup mushrooms, chopped
1.5 cups kale, thinly sliced
1 vegetable broth container (4 cups)
¾ can pumpkin puree
20 ounces brown rice, frozen
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Dash ground cloves
1 tablespoon fresh sage
½ teaspoon fresh thyme
½ cup pecans, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 425* F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread cranberries on top.
Roast cranberries for about 15 minutes or until all popped. Check after 10 minutes.
3. Sautee onions & carrots for about 5 minutes in a skillet over medium heat (or until soft and beginning to brown).
Pour in 1 cup veggie broth and cook until tender, or about 10 minutes.
4. Transfer carrot-onion mix to a blender. Add pumpkin and ½ cup veggie broth and blend until smooth.
5. Transfer mix back to skillet. Add the rest of the veggie broth and brown rice. Bring back to boil.
6. Reduce heat to medium and stir in kale, mushrooms, cranberries, nutritional yeast and cloves.
Cook until tender or about 10 minutes.
7. Stir in sage, thyme and pecans.