Run Your First Half Marathon
Published on February 6th, 2014
“You can do anything you put your mind to.”
If you want to have a jolly good time, do a race. Races give you a sense of adventure, a connection to the community and they inspire participants to live life to the fullest. If you really want to enjoy these benefits, do a half marathon. Half marathons are the ultimate distance: long enough to feel like a total rock star (and burn more than 1,000 calories) and short enough to be able to enjoy the beer garden at the end (with all your toenails still intact).
Now’s the perfect time to do your first half marathon. It’s a new year and it’s time to realize you can do anything you put your mind to!
I’m doing the Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego at the beginning of June because it’s the best race ever (bands and cheerleaders at every turn, munchies and cool swag), it’s at a perfect time of the year (you can start training now even if you’ve never run before) and you can get $10 off (with the code below…I love a great deal!). Running, walking or anything in between is perfectly acceptable because guess what? It’s your chance to have fun, enjoy your surroundings and take a big leap in favor of a healthy lifestyle!
How can you get through your first half marathon?
Here are some tips and resources:
• Get a good training plan/schedule and stick to it. Here are a few good ones: Couch to Half Marathon Training Plan, Run/Walk Training Plan, My Very Easy Training Plan
• Know why you’re doing it. So important when you don’t feel like leaving that couch.
• Sign up! Nothing gets you motivated more than forking over money and committing.
• Follow the Rock ‘n’ Roll on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Youtube. It’s great motivation!
• Join a running group. Start one with your friends or join an established one.
• Reward yourself. Set training goals; get a running book to help inspire you after you first sign up; buy yourself new running shorts when you get to week 7. So many ways…
• Get some good running shoes. Find what works for you—be safe and support those feet!
• Keep a running journal. Track miles, how you felt on the run, eating, etc.
• Enlist a friend. Life is always more fun with a friend. Even a four-legged friend will help get you out of bed.
• Run/Walk at your own pace. I wish I were fast but I go at my own pace because exercising is a fun experience and going too fast is the recipe for disaster in more ways than one.
• Eat a healthy diet. It’s funny what a difference eating healthy grains, proteins, fruits and veggies makes in how you feel and how you perform.
• Wear comfy running/walking clothes. It doesn’t matter if your style involves a tutu or a skirt—dress the way you feel comfortable moving and be sure to experiment to find what works for you.
• Have fun! If you prepare by getting your miles in, you are sure to have a great time.
Get $10 off with the discount code: HLRUNSSD
Discounts are awesome-use it and pass it on for anyone you know thinking about doing the race.
You won’t regret trying your first half marathon. I hope to see you there!